Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Morning at the Library, Oct. 9

This morning Sophia and I went to her class at the library. It is a half an hour of singing and movement for mummy & daddy & baby, ages 0-3. She loves it. There are 2 group leaders who sing songs, many of which are quite familiar to me but just a little different, like the "Hokey Cokey" and "Incey Wincey Spider" (which I know as the Hokey Pokey and Itsy Bitsy Spider). There are many that I've never heard before, for example, "The Grand 'ol Duke of York" and "Sausages, Sausages in a Pan". But they all are fun and the room is packed. I must say, I've been to a class like this back home, and the voices of these parents as they sing along seem much more melodius to me. I've asked a friend I met there, and she thinks it may be stricter music training in school. Sophia and I try to sing-along in a British accent and she definitely gets some words spot-on. Otherwise, she doesn't seem yet to be developing any kind of accent. She spends so much time with us at home and that's where she does most of her talking. We went to the market afterwards and bought several spices from the spice man. It is so much fun, being able to buy "40 P worth of cumin, please". He scoops it fresh out of the bin and into a bag for you. And then we toured one of the 50 churches here in town and had a lovely experience, just the 2 of us. Sophia now understands that it's best to whisper in church, so it's all I can do not to pick her up and squeeze her everytime she whispers "what is this is, mommy?". (That's Sophia's great phrase I love so much when she asks what something is: what is this is?) Last night we all went to an "Evensong" service (this is the ritual of a chior singing the evening prayers)at the main Anglican Cathedral 5 minutes from our house http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/webcams/cathedral.shtml It was a beautiful service. It was an all boy's chior and some of the young boy's voices, in this big, high-ceilinged, ancient cathedral, were truly angelic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great picture of Sophia with her friends! we are having a spectacular autumn here. Miss you, xxoo Merri